Monday, April 6, 2009

Building codes

I recently saw another example of how some in Skypeland just seize on anything to create disruption and fights. I noted that because of what was learned after 9/11, that building codes had been modified.

I had heard allusions to this by friends and in broadcast news. However, this comment of mine was met with widespread derision, leading to mocking attacks, cursing and threats. I declined to respond until I had verified the current status after some investigation.

Sure enough, in a few minutes I found numerous articles about the changes of building codes, both national and international. There were articles in the New York Times, the Washington Post and various building trade magazines. As of 2009, there were 23 changes in the International Building Code stemming directly from things learned on 9/11. Building owners and managers in New York City and other places were objecting to the increased costs stemming from the new regulations. Even the General Services Administration was fighting the new requirements because of the costs they would mean for the government.


What is interesting to me that I was so vehemently attacked, over and over and over, in the most aggressive and vile fashion, including insults and threats. And a simple google search revealed a HUGE number of sources for the building code changes, in a very few seconds, with minimal effort. And yet these conspiracy theorists and other assorted detractors were SO CONVINCED they were correct and that no such building changes existed, that they engaged in the most outrageous vile behavior.

Later I asked them why they couldn't find any of those references, and asked them what they thought of the information I had found. I asked over and over, at least ten times. And they gave me no response, and made no comments. After a few experiences like this, people lose patience with these conspiracy theorists.

No comments: