Thursday, June 4, 2009

A message to my readers

I have had this blog for almost two years, documenting a few of my experiences in the world of online conversations. This blog captures only a small fraction of what I have heard and seen; a sampling of what I observed in Skypecasts, on MeBeam, on Paltalk, on TalkShoe, and now in assorted conference calls and HighDef conference rooms. Of course, there are many other online venues where one can take part in conversations, such as Yahoo! messenger and MSN messenger, both of which offer voice and video capability. I have only experimented with a few of these, so this blog captures only a small fraction of what is available in the world of online discourse, and does not even cover the full range of what I personally have been involved with in this medium.

The blog currently allows for anonymous comments by readers, which I can moderate. I am considering adding a capability for readers to vote on each post so they can tell other readers (and me) what they thought of it.

For example, in the last week, using the number of readers who clicked directly on a blog article as a crude estimate, the most popular blog posts were (in order):

*Window lickers

*On the horns of a dilemma

*An inside job

*Skanky slut

*Sonia Sotomajor

*Droner

*Yorkshire wisdom

*A visit from Brad Shit

*Rock around the clock

*Definition of character

I am sort of surprised that as many wanted to read the Sonia Sotomajor article. Obviously, "A visit from Brad Shit", although it is a less recent article, is still very popular.

These are just the most commonly read articles last week, by this rough measure. A full list of the articles clicked on directly in the last week would include about 60 articles. Most people probably do what I do; they click on a month and read a selection of the articles from that month, or read articles that follow others. Many read articles from the archives as well. The newest post, Restraining order, while still heavily read, might not have been up long enough yet to rise higher in the list, because many people read the blog only once every few days.

If this sort of information is interesting to you, and you want to give feedback on what is in the blog, then let me know by voting in the upper right hand corner poll. If you want to comment on a blog post, then feel free to do so. Just realize that I reserve the right to moderate comments, since some have used this method in the past to attack me personally. And since it is my blog, I reserve the right to only publish comments that I think enhance the blog.

Thanks for your interest.

Additional note

Also, if you are really observant, you might notice that sometimes I post new articles out of temporal order. That is, I often have draft articles that retain the date when I first started working on them when I finally publish them to the internet, days, weeks or months later. So sometimes the most recently posted articles are not those with the most recent dates on them. I realize that this can be confusing to people, and that these articles are less likely to be read if they do not appear at the top of the list of blog posts. However, sometimes there is a value to this, if a blog post is particularly controversial or confrontational. This blog is not only for my readers, since I want to use it to keep notes about what goes on in Skypeland.

No comments: