Saturday, September 22, 2007

Isolationist

In Skypeland, one often has to deal with all kinds of rude behavior, and I will admit that I am not always so polite in return. I remarked that many countries complain that the US in engaged in the world, but it was not always involved in the world and the US has a strong isolationist streak in it as well. At the outbreak of World War II, the US had the 23rd largest military in the world and was tired of dealing with overseas messes, such as the first World War. I made the somewhat politically-incorrect statement that it was to "wipe the runny noses of the Europeans" and the US did not want to get involved in that war.

Some UK "gentleman" interrupted me to say that the US had hired and/or goaded the European countries to go to war with each other in the First World War. I could not believe I was hearing another fruitcake conspiracy theorist, and noted that I had heard this one before. The UK guy interrupted a few more times with rude comments, so I called him a slightly less than complimentary name. I said he was welcome to speak if he had something to say, and of course he had nothing to say. He just wanted to be rude and insult me and interrupt, and then be offended when I returned fire in like manner. However, when put on the spot, these characters seldom if ever have a single thing of any value to say on any subject....

No comments: