Saturday, September 15, 2007

There is no hacking here

Some people definitely are in denial. I was in a room in Skypeland and the entire cast was hacked, and the host was thrown out of the room. Many of the participants were thrown out as well.

A German man claimed there is no hacking involved and there are no malicious operators using Skype. I told him I had witnessed a friend on Skype get hacked. A malicious character took over my friend's account and changed his password. The German man denied that such things ever happen. I told him of a location on the internet with instructions for 4 or 5 types of hacking exploits, so the German man could do it himself if he wanted. The German man denied that this was true. I and several others in the cast recounted personal experiences associated with malicious hacking. The German man said there were no malicious users on Skype. We told the German man about several well-known and experienced users who had similar viewpoints. The German man disputed that this was true.

Finally I explained carefully that there are bugs in the Skype system that create vulnerabilities that can be exploited by malicious users, and are exploited by malicious users. This he agreed with. Wow, that was not easy....

No comments: