Saturday, September 15, 2007

Two personalities

One interesting phenomenon that becomes quickly apparent after spending a little time in Skypeland is how people's personalities change under the influence of controlled substances. One "lady" who would wander in and out of casts and behave like a raving stoned lunatic, cursing and ranting at everyone became somewhat familiar to me after I encountered her a few times. Then I ran across a room with a very nice girl hosting it, who seemed to have the same voice. At first I thought it was the same person as the stoned lady, but after a few conversations, the hostess seemed so sane and reasonable that I decided I had to be mistaken. How could someone who was such a deranged kook on some occasions be the same as this well-mannered, proper, sensitive reasonable, rational person?

Eventually, I ran into someone in the proper hostess' cast who I knew was well-acquainted with the abusive stoned maniac. We asked if the two people were the same, and he confirmed this for us. I was stunned. And I guess this demonstrates something about the power of these controlled substances to affect a personality....

No comments: