Friday, September 14, 2007

US and oil contracts

I try to get people in Skypeland to produce evidence for some of their claims. I had a conversation with a man from Sweden that went into some of the issues associated with the Iraq war. I was speaking about not agreeing with the US going to Iraq, and I got these text messages:

[5:37:11 PM] E says: I agree with you, but in the same time... I don't agree with you

[5:37:38 PM] Bob in MD says: in what way?

[5:38:41 PM] E says: What u just said... the western world is living way over their "own" resources... so in a way, we're already threaten them and their survival and right to prosperity
(Huh? I never said that...)

[5:39:00 PM] Bob in MD says: I never said that

[5:39:05 PM] Bob in MD says: this is more complicated than that

[5:39:08 PM] E says: But we in the west often miss out on that information...

[5:39:14 PM] Bob in MD says: i partly agree....but it is more complicated
[5:39:36 PM] E says: No, I wasn't quoting you... just answering of why I don't agree with you
(Huh? So why did you say this? It has nothing to do with what I said...)

[5:39:49 PM] Bob in MD says: ah.....well there is some truth to what you say

[5:39:52 PM] Bob in MD says: but....

[5:39:54 PM] E says: Yeah, I agree that it's more complicated...

[5:40:42 PM] E says: Take the instability in Iraq for example...
(What on earth? What does this have to do with anything?)

[5:41:28 PM] E says: Almost all the contracts concerning the oil never ended up in the hands of the Iraqi people...

[5:41:40 PM] Bob in MD says: haha

[5:41:44 PM] Bob in MD says: it is not the fault of the US

[5:41:48 PM] Bob in MD says: look at the UN
(I was thinking of the oil for food program here...)

[5:42:01 PM] E says: ... almost every contract fell in the hand of US companies, which I think is wrong...

[5:42:09 PM] Bob in MD says: that is incorrect

[5:42:13 PM] E says: is it?

[5:42:15 PM] Bob in MD says: as far as i know it is wrong

[5:42:20 PM] Bob in MD says: where is the reference to that?

[5:42:26 PM] Bob in MD says: where is the evidence?

[5:43:19 PM] E says: There were many bidders from ex. both France and Germany... but France never got it.. one can only speculate... but I think it could be due to the reluctance from the french people to invade Iraq

[5:43:37 PM] Bob in MD says: where is the evidence?

[5:43:59 PM] E says: I can look it up to you... do you have an e-mail address?

[5:44:13 PM] Bob in MD says: just post it in here

[5:44:16 PM] E says: I'll be more than happy to look it up...

[5:44:32 PM] Bob in MD says: give me a link that shows what you claim

[5:46:08 PM] E says: Hold on... although I'm usually more careful of digging up links on the Internet... due to the lack of reliable sources...

[5:48:58 PM] Bob in MD says: sure

[5:49:00 PM] Bob in MD says: news source

[5:49:01 PM] Bob in MD says: whatever

[5:49:29 PM] E says: Ehm... will Swedish news sources due?

[5:50:15 PM] Bob in MD says: sure

[5:50:18 PM] Bob in MD says: is it in english?

[5:50:55 PM] E says: No... we do have our own language in Sweden, you know... so it's in Swedish...
(Well duh...I think I was familiar with that. But I just ignored this sarcasm...)

[5:51:06 PM] Bob in MD says: ok then

[5:51:09 PM] Bob in MD says: i can get it translated

[5:51:11 PM] E says: ... but I found this in English... hold on

[5:51:27 PM] E says: http://www.globalpolicy.org/security/oil/irqindx.htm

[5:51:58 PM] E says: http://english.aljazeera.net/English/archive/archive?ArchiveId=51
(Wow talk about misinformation...These two links prove nothing...)

[5:52:20 PM] Bob in MD says: well so far the bidding right now has the french and the dutch involved as well as the Americans

Here are some of the links on this I found:
http://news.independent.co.uk/world/middle_east/article2132569.ece
http://money.cnn.com/2007/04/05/news/international/iraq_oil/index.htm
http://www.thebushagenda.net/article.php?id=430
http://www.thenation.com/doc/20021230/hiro20021216

Oil companies from France, Holland, the UK, and other countries are involved in the bidding, and it appears most likely that the companies from China, India, Vietnam, and Indonesia are likely to be the first to get access, according to the recent news. Hmmm...appears that my friend from Sweden is just plain wrong here...


[5:52:22 PM] Bob in MD says: and some others

[5:52:29 PM] Bob in MD says: it is incorrect to say it is all US

[5:53:57 PM] E says: Yeah, you're right...
(I am right? So what was all that stuff before about?)

[5:54:53 PM] E says: Well, returning to what you said on the air before... I don't think that people really chose to be suicidal bombers...
(Huh? When did I say that? )

[5:55:48 PM] E says: ... in my opinion I think that it's our enviroment that creates us...

[5:56:41 PM] E says: I understand why palestinians do this though... the desperation forces them to take these actions...

[5:57:46 PM] E says: ... the Israeli ocupation forces with arms from the US and the western states makes it a living hell for the palestinian people...

Hmm....interesting debating technique...

No comments: