Sunday, September 2, 2007

Afghanistan and the US

It is amazing to me how many people do not understand why the US went to Afghanistan with the international coalition. Many people no longer remember 9/11 or even make a connection between the Taliban, Al Qaeda and 9/11. I have even had a Russian lady attack me as being from a war-mongering country. When I pointed out that there have been about 3500 civilian casualties from the coalition forces in Afghanistan in 5 years, and the Russians created over 1 million, she ran off in a huff. but not before she told me indignantly that Chechnya was different; the Russians were allowed to kill them since they hated Chechnyans. Ah, makes a lot of sense...

Interestingly, someone from Pakistan that I talked to had NO idea that Russia had ever invaded Pakistan...wow....

No comments: