Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Leprauchans, Pixies and Government kidnappings

I went to another interesting cast in Skypeland where the host wanted to talk about what sort of support there was in science for all kinds of alternative beliefs, such as fairies, telekensis, psychic energy, UFOs, alien abductions etc. I tried to be as gentle as I could to not stomp on any New Age toes and tried to explain what science is (I have often noticed that people do not know what science actually is). After a fairly interesting conversation, one of the people in the room started to lash out.

It started slowly. He asked if any scientists have ever worked alongside psychics to test them. I said that they probably have. This gentleman became more belligerent, and asked what the result was. I said "nothing; they didn't find an effect". He asked what would happen if an effect was found. I said if it was confirmed, it would be huge news and change science. He was skeptical. He told me he was sure that if someone found something extrasensory, the government would kidnap them and they would disappear. He claimed that many people who file patents every year are abducted by the government and disappear, along with their patents. I said I had never heard of such a thing.

He became more obnoxious and starting insulting me, and telling me I was a fool and stupid for wanting to put everything in a box and label it. I said I did not, except for putting the unknown in the unknown box. I pointed out that science cannot explain a lot of things or even most things, but what was wrong with that? This made him more irritated. I said that he is allowed to believe what he believes, and I respected that, and I would believe what I believed. This made his blood boil. He didn't want to believe what he believed and let others believe what they believed; this made him furious. Always a good sign of a stable personality, I think.

I tried to placate him for a bit, but eventually I told him off. And then I invited him to talk, since he wanted the floor, and muted my mike. Of course, he had nothing to say; he just wanted to bait me. So I came back and told him off again, and left. Sometimes, I just can't be bothered with psychotic morons with a chip on their shoulder looking for a fight. He started to message me and I just blocked him. Good riddance...

1 comment:

mrlukeduke said...

I remember this one!!! It was actually a good 'cast for a while, but got out of hand towards the end (maybe we all got a little tired and grouchy!?). I recall the guy you mention (talking about you "putting things in a box" etc), but I do seem to remember the verbal jousting being not *quite* as one sided as you say it was... ;-) Anyway I have more time again now to host some 'casts (or enter Skypeland as you call it - I've been studying/working a lot lately); so I'll drop you a line some time, or vica versa. Great Blog anyway. (From "Wacky W1zzard")