Friday, September 7, 2007

I don't know how to answer

In Skypeland, a young lady from China told me that North Korea was an independent state and should therefore have the right to possess nuclear weapons. I replied that they had to live up to the NPT inspection treaty they signed, and other treaties, and they had not. I also pointed out that they were a rogue state, kidnapping Japanese, threatening their neighbors, unable to feed their people or produce enough energy, and counterfeiting US currency, and therefore might not be responsible enough to possess nuclear weapons. I also indicated that they might sell these weapons to terrorists.

Finally I asked her if she disagreed with her own Chinese government who had negotiated with North Korea to induce North Korea to give up their nuclear weapons. She said did not know what to say. She said she could not understand why they had done this. She basically was stuck and did not know what answer to give. I asked if she might learn a bit more and reconsider her answer. She was at a loss for words....

Well I hope she reconsiders. However, I have to admit most Americans probably have a similar level of knowledge of foreign affairs.

No comments: